Tuesday 22 May 2012

Race Day Part 1

4.35AM 20th May2012 that was the time on the clock when I opened my eyes.

Now thanks to Chelsea winning the champions league on penalties it was after 11pm when I went to bed so to have less than 5 hours sleep was not my ideal preparation. So after checking emails, Facebook and twitter I play a few games on my phone and decide at 6am to get up and shower. Now I can see from the bathroom that it's a nice sunny day so things look promising.  The race isn't till 9.30 so I can't imagine it will be too warm but as long as there ain't no wind I'll be happy.

After the shower I head downstairs to do some dishes from last night #rocknroll it's the least I can do to distract myself from the thought of the run being 100% honest I'm nervous not in a bad way but more like the feeling you have when your about to get married it's the expectation of the event but there are definitely butterflies and squeaky bum syndrome going on today. It's now 7am so I go and wake up the kids but they've beat me too it. They are also excited but in a different way they seem to think that I'll be winning the race!! In no time at all they are tucking into their frosties and arguing with one another so normal service resumed. I too have breakfast a bowl of cereal and a herbal tea but it doesn't take away the feeling I have in my stomach.

The next hour flies by as everyone gets dressed and I get all my gear ready for the race, I have decided to wear shorts my long sleeved adidas top with the MS Scotland vest over the top, I put my timing chip on my trainers and then I'm good to go.

Traffic restrictions around town mean we have to leave the house at 8.30 ahead of the check in at 9.10 by now the nerves are up to maximum this is not aided by lane restrictions as we near the beach and now its 8.55 and we are still far from destination.  Me and one of the other dad's running take the executive decision to bail from the cars and walk the last part to ensure we get there on time safe in the knowledge that the wife and kids can park up and find a spot on in the crowd to watch the start of the race.

 When we get there a huge weight suddenly lifts from my body as for the first time I suddenly see and feel what the whole day is all about, over 4000 runners from the serious to the not so serious (I'm talking teddy bears, big bird and full ice hockey regalia)  I am now at ease with the situation and on the plus side it was a really nice morning for the crowd to watch.  We have one thing left to do and that is get into you estimated time zone for the race you see with so many people its crucial that there are no traffic jams with the slow and fast runners so there are various gates for the different times people think they will achieve.  I was thinking 80 minutes given my last couple of training sessions so off I go near the back of the queue and wait.  When I get there I see someone I know and get chatting about things so this relaxes me even more.


                                                           
So after 4 months of training and eating more healthy there is only one thing left to do and that's run 10,000m so as the countdown on the PA system reaches zero I am at my most relaxed that I have been in the last 24 hours, what happened next turned out to be one of the best experiences I have ever had.

Thanks again for taking the time to read this I get alot of questions asking if its still ok to donate and yes is the answer I'd be more than happy to take donations big or small on behalf of MS Scotland you know the script by now http://www.justgiving.com/Donnie-Robertson

No comments:

Post a Comment