Tuesday 31 January 2012

Diary of a fat man Jogging, not as easy as it looks

So week 3 starts after what can only be described as a marathon drinking session over the weekend.  Far too much alcohol was consumed and no doubt it put me back a few steps in the whole training regime but with every cloud there is a silver lining and the night was spent with 3 other athletes, 1 had completed 2 marathons (sub 4 hours) another training for this year’s marathon and the 3rd well he's in the same boat as me a big guy trying to be fit and healthy so there were plenty of hints and tips in between the cocktails and shots.  Note to self swimming the next day - Bad Idea

So as per plan week 3 sees the introduction of jogging and my first thoughts are "fuck this is going to be a struggle"  My plan sees me out for 40 minutes alternating 4.5 minutes walking with 30 seconds jogging repeated over 8 times.  Of course me wanting to be clever thinks running for 30 seconds is piss I’ll just keep going (bad move) this only highlighted how out of shape I was and that thoughts of running the length (and more) of the beach are miles away.  Anyway despite the freezing cold and my over ambitious attitude I managed and again I felt good for it If you'd asked me before Christmas to go out for a jog at 8.30 at night I would have choked on my tea and chocolate biscuits and politely told you to "piss off"

The plan slowly increases over the weeks so you run more and walk less so I'm looking forward to see how this pans out but in-between rest days and other activities It should become better and easier so fingers crossed

Even at this early stage I get plenty of encouragement not just from family and workmates but from people that I just wouldn't expect to be interested in my campaign and this really spurs me on so thank you to everyone for all the nice comments it means a lot

Donnie

No comments:

Post a Comment